Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Replacement Frame Update, Part Two


As we last left the replacement frame issue, it was going to cost me $260 to get a free warranty replacement of a $200 frame.  Grumble, grumble.

After talking with bikesdirect.com several times, they were super helpful and went along with my out-of-the-box thinking.  See if you follow my thinking … to allow the warranty replacement, they needed to physically see the crack in the bottom bracket, on the bike, in their shop in Texas.  I suggested that, to save on shipping, I would cut the frame with a hack saw along the two chain stays, seat tube and down tube.  This would leave me with just the bottom bracket and a few inches of the tubes for viewing and confirmation of the crack.  It would also reduce the shipping costs of the old frame from $130 to less than $10.  After a discussion with his people, they agreed and I was onto the task of chopping up the bike.

I was disappointed to learn, when cutting aluminum with a Dremel, that no sparks flew.  I had gotten my son all excited to see the fireworks.  He still got a kick out of grinding away at the bike with a power too.  But the rooster tail of sparks would have been an added bonus.  We boxed up the bottom bracket and forked over the $8 and change for shipping.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment